Tuesday 11 March 2008

Operation Day

Was laid in bed listening to hospital radio from 4am. I got up and walked down to the corridor at 5.15am and rung DH.

Nil by mouth from 5am.

I was supposed to be 5th on the list of operations that morning. But due to some patients not turning up, was moved to 1st place. So I walked down to the operating room at 9.10

My heartbeat was racing, and just for a little while, I thought the operation was going to be cancelled. I was very red in the face, but temperature and BP were fine. Just nerves, I think.

Two attempts at getting the drip in, but eventually my veins gave in and I was wired up. I had requested not to have the mask put on my face whilst still awake, as I panic. Which was nice, not having that as my last thought before I went out. I had decongestant sprayed up my nostril and next thing I know I was waking up in recovery.

It was about 10.40, buy the time I woke up, and remained there for about an hour. Feeling a little nauseaous. Face was feeling ok at this point. But I wasnt brave enough to stick my tongue on it. I was on Oxygen, and remained hooked up to it, until 8pm that evening.

DH came in at 3.10, I was still quite dozy, but really appreciated him sat there, just holding my hand.

Mr Merrick and anaesthetist came round to check on me during the early evening.

Further bloods done on the evening, to check my potassium levels.

On Declofenec and Tramadol for pain

Had another Celexan injection, just before bed.

No comments: