Wednesday 2 April 2008

Trismus

Trismus can have a significant impact on a patient’s quality of life by affecting their ability to eat, swallow and speak, whilst compromising oral hygiene, which can lead to further complications.

There are several ways to help. Some people are given a contraption called a Therabite. My surgeon had a very low-tech but effective method. He gave me a box of tongue depression spatulas. The idea is to stack them up and get as many between your teeth as you can. Each day slide and extra one between the existing ones whilst they are in your mouth.

I've been told to do this three times a day, for a minute or two. It will be uncomfortable, but it apparently works well and quite quickly. Today I could only get 11 in, by the time he sees me in a months time, he wants me to get 15 or even 20 in.

Anyway, good news, All tumor has gone, no signs of it at all in what they took 3 weeks ago. Healing well, and doing ok. He was a bit alarmed that I was prescribed morphine by my GP, and quietly had a moan that I should have rung him, - but I did what I had to do at the time. I am no longer on the pain killers now, just the Diffram Oral Rinse.

4 comments:

Jo said...

Glad he gave you some top tips on exercising your mouth. Hope to hear you have slipped an extra spatula in tomorrow xx

Anonymous said...

Oh i bet that was a weight off your mind!

good luck with the spatulas!

x

Sarah said...

Aww hun that's good news. Good luck with the spatulas I think we need to see a pic of them stuck in your mouth lol!
Sarah x

Anonymous said...

Hey Sue, Cant tell you how pleased i am for you with the news, you take care look forward to seeing you soon, regards Gerry B