Friday 4 April 2008

Fairweather Friends

I have been quite hurt over the past few days, by a couple of people suddenly coming back out the woodwork.

I hadn't seen or heard from them in my 'hour of need'. As soon as they heard I was unwell, they disappeared, out of my circle of friends.

Was I really that unapproachable whilst having a 'cancer banner' hanging over my head! Why do people just run away - cancer isn't contagious. How would they feel if it was them in my position - damn hurt too I imagine.

On the other hand, I have had lots of cards, flowers, get well wishes and messages from people I see as true friends ...... even if they do live the other side of the country, and for that I THANK YOU xxx

3 comments:

Sarah said...

That's awful hun. I'd keep them at arms length. They couldn't be there for you when you needed them, why not let them see that you don't 'need' them now.
Sarah x

Jo said...

I think we all figure out who our real friends are when things are bad...

Sorry they have shown their true colours when you needed them most.

Hayley said...

Hi
I know how you feel completely. Two of my 'friends' never uttered one word to me while I was going through chemotherapy and radiotherapy (oh, apart from a 'Happy Easter' text message!) and as soon as I finished all my treatment they were both texting me and wanting to meet up!
It really hurt me...I think if one of my friends had cancer I'd be there for them, no matter what. Even if it was just a chat or a trip to the cinema to keep their mind off of things!
Anyway, there's my rant. Haha.
Hayley xxx